Original Review Link
I just build a frontend client for my MediaPortal backend.
HDPLEX H3.S /w IR Receiver and 80W Internal PSU
Intel Core i3 3225 / 3.3 GHz
Samsung 840 Series MZ-7TD120 – 120 GB
Crucial – 4 GB – DIMM 240-pin – DDR3 – 1600 MHz / PC3-12800
ASUS P8H77-I – micro-ATX – LGA1155 Socket – USB 3.0
The assembly was straightforward until I came to the PSU. There was a yellow lead that just hanged loose, with a little bit of exposed wire, witch made me suspicious. I can accept a wire that does not go anywhere, but then it should be capped in some way. After the assembly a led on the mb lit up, but the machine did not power up.
Suspecting the yellow wire, it tracked it and noticed that no yellow wire came from the PSU… And in the plug on the PSU there was an empty hole. Problem found! A friend who also had a HDLPLEX case told me that he had had the exact same problem with the wiring. So he pried the pin out of the plug and soldered the wire to the pin, -and did the same for the brown wire as well. After that the machine started up as expected.
After som time I found out that the internal IR receiver only worked with basic functionality of my mce remote and not the keyboard and mouse function of my mce keyboard. And I like the “shortcut” buttons on those devices, as they works beautifylly with MediaPortal
So I tried to see if I could fix my trusty old receiver inside the case.
Trusty old receiver:
Trusty old receiver split open:
So as a proof of concept I glued the receiver in the case an tested if it worked, and it did.
So I went to install it properly:
Starting by soldering off the usb connector, and in its place soldering a usb motherboard-to-backplate cable, where I had cut off the backplate end.
Then soldered off the ir receiver, and put on some extension wires.
The IR receiver part, the white bit, is a piece of double adhesive tape.
Placing the reciver in the case:
The finished assembly
It works flawlessly, and I’m a happy man